We’ve all got at least one or two of those annoying relatives who know how to push your buttons just right.
In this article we’re going to talk about how to deal with these people during Christmas. Fortunately, you only see them once or twice a year. That means if you can make it through a few hours of their obnoxious rants and questions, you don’t have to deal with them for the rest of the year. Below are some tips on how to handle this.
1. Pre-game. this means get sloshed before getting to your Christmas gathering. Have 1 glass of wine or at least 2 shots of tequila before you walk in. This will help take the edge off.
2. Keep eating. If you have food in your mouth you can’t answer questions.
3. Stay on your phone and say that it’s “work stuff.” Yes they’ll say “but it’s Christmas!” By saying “Ugh I know, but they need me right now.” This will give you the reason to excuse yourself and take a fake phone call.
4. Get them drunk. Yep, get that annoying relative plastered so they’ll eventually pass out on the couch and you won’t have to hear them talk.
5. Keep feeding them. If they keep eating, then that means their mouths are going to be full and can’t speak. Plus it makes it seem like you care about them.
6. Head them off at the pass. Instead of waiting for questions to be asked, you take control of the situation and ask them questions. Reverse the roles and be the annoying relative. Start asking about personal stuff going on in their lives. Here’s a few samples:
“How’s divorced life going?”
“Are you sure you’re not at risk for a heart attack?”
“What ever happened to (bring up their ex)?”
“How’s (insert name of their son/daughter) doing in rehab?”
“How’s your sex life?”
You get the gist of it right? Basically ask them anything that has a sensitive subject. That will usually quiet them down a bit.
Last but not least…
7. Drink some coffee. It’s been scientific proven that drinking coffee makes people happier. It’s like booze but without the hangover.